Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 75, Oct. 24


We arrived back in Bengalore early in the morning ready for another big day. This, I thought was the day of reckoning when I would talk with Sunder Raj about Love & Care and my involvement in it. I had replayed this conversation in my mind over and over for weeks. But first, I had to get off the train. We did that in the dark of the morning. The sun rises about 6am. It must he been 5:40 or so. This train came directly downtown. Devukumar lived there. I insisted that he go straight home after making sure I was on the right bus for St. Anthony’s. It happened to be the same bus. For 13 rupees I got to within walking distance of the parish. Not knowing how close, I stuck to the game plan and took an auto-rickshaw. It was less than two minutes.
Now, very light but still early, I found no one awake but the door unlocked and my room the same. My first order of business was to take a shower and get ready for the meeting I thought would take all day.
Sunder Raj did call. He just arrived from France and needed sleep. We left it he would call me when he started to come to the parish. The pastor advised me he would not all before 1:00pm. He proved to be correct. Fortunately, I followed Fr. Mariappa’s advice and used the time to get a hair cut and go down to the Cyber Cafe to check a week’s e-mail and, most importantly confirm my flight back to the U.S. All was well.
After lunch, with no news from Sunder Raj, a young man was presented to me who would like to become a candidate for the seminary in my diocese. He had already finished I Theology. H did have a problem which seemed easily solvable. I was interviewing him when suddenly Devukumar comes bursting into the room saying I needed immediately to come with him to see Sunder Raj. I ushered him out of the room; but curtailed our interview. It might be promising.
Devukumar had a car waiting to take us downtown. I was dressed or the occasion which would include a family party to which I was invited. The car took us to a small office where Lo & Care has a home (or rather an address). We still had to wait.
When Sunder arrived he was very gracious and apologized for his travel problems. We talked. He mostly listened. I said most, if not all, of what I planned to say. He actively listened, nodding his head in agreement at a few critical times. He never committed to anything nor did he rule anything out. He played his role well. I thought it best not to try to close any deal. And that was that. The meeting was underwhelming with a tacit agreement that we would continue this conversation later.
There was still time before the party. I went with his son to buy some stuff for the meal at the city market. It was a treat to check out the seemingly chaotic market for a decent price on commodities. I was observing a master. We got everything we wanted at a fair price in a decent time.
We reconnected with the ever-present Devukumar. He took me gift shopping. All we did is go to a government store where they sold craft items from various parts of India. I bought some trinkets I hope people will like and we left to find a taxi to the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment