Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 69, Oct. 18


Today is a first for me. It told me that I am retired. It was Sunday and I had a restful, easy day. It began with morning Mass at the outstanding French gothic church on the Loyola campus. I did not preach. After Mass the choir and friends had a little outdoor birthday party or the young organist. They had a cake but no fire to light the candles. They sent a student to the sacristy to get matches. To the dismay of all he retuned saying they wouldn’t give them to him. I came to the rescue by running over and getting the matches to the applause of all standing there. S, I did my ‘boy scout’ good deed by 7:30 am. In the process, I made some new friends.
After returning to breakfast at the Jesuit residence, I called Dr. Anthony and, as planned days earlier we finally visited the museum. One way to spend a productive day at a museum is to go from exhibit to exhibit with a person who shares with you the love of talking art, history, mythology, development of peoples, and many other subjects. The two of us spent the whole open time of the museum with such discussions at most every section. I learned a lot about India that afternoon.
That evening we went back to his house, picked up his wife, and went out to dinner. And the Sunday was over. It was a day of rest, of sharing and of rejoicing. I may have to do this more often. Just think. We have a God who ruled that this kind of day be observed on a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment