Monday, October 19, 2009

Day 68, Oct. 17


At the dinner last night, we planned a course of action for the next day which was a national religious holiday, Diwali, the festival of lights. There was nothing scheduled for me. We had a perfect fit.
I got a good long night’s sleep. I concelebrated Mass in the morning and waited for Dr. Anthony to pick me up. He did and he drove me to his house where his wife was preparing a picnic lunch. By this time I was suffering from full fledged diarrhea. I did not want anything. I think I did make the same mistake twice and dink the water in a silver urn outside my door. It looked good and was so convenient and tasted great. All I wanted was a coke.
The trip was still on. I would act on my best happy behavior and not make it a bad day for the others. Our first stop was an hour away back across the State line in Andhra Pradesh. It was the new doctor’s family farm. It consisted of 65 acres of three year old Mango trees. The land was flat. It had a huge well in the manner I had seen several times now and a little farm house. We ate there with the caretaker and his wife. I only drank a small glass of lemonade and a cup of tea. It was enough to make matters worse for me. I had to go out to the back forty to make one of those Mango trees more productive than the others. I came back better but sorry for causing a fuss. I soon found out that Jenny had to do the same thing moments after me. Misery appreciates company in this case.
From the farm we all five started out (pretty late by now) towards the mountains to reach a State Park with a splendid waterfall. It was an interesting through rugged country and quaint (in an Indian way) villages. I got a coke and became a happy camper.
At one point we got to a most interesting building which called itself ‘The Oneness Center.’ It was an immense all marble structure in a beautiful combination of Mughal and Hindi architecture. We stopped and toured it.
By the time we got back to the car the sun was on its way down. Down by the equator the days are 12 hours year round beginning and ending at about 6. We made a mad dash to be at the falls before the sun passed the horizon. We got to the mountains OK. We got to the park; but had to argue with the rangers to let us in after closing time. For a handful of rupees they let us in. We got out at the parking area and walked up to the stream that flowed from the falls. The rest of the folks stayed there and got their feet wet while I (wearing my swimming trunks on all day) hiked to get as far as the Gold Cave which was close according to the sign. I was almost there when ranger urged me to get back. He was sent by the rest of my party who somehow thought that ten minutes was too long for me to roam away on a wilderness trail. By Tennessee standards there was absolutely no degree of difficulty. But, these were city folk and a couple who stay near a farm house all the time. They really were afraid for me. So, t the end, we never came close to the falls; but we had a good time.
The trip home was better. This was Diwali evening when everyone shoots fireworks of all types. Each town we passed though was crackling with explosions and alight with Roman candles and a few flares. The closer we got to Chennai, the louder the sounds and the brighter the bursts. In town every building had people sending off fireworks. As the night progressed they got bigger and more numerous until we were surrounded by bursts. None of the displays were spectacular like at Disneyworld; but they were steady and unending. From 6:00 pm to midnight, it was continuous. Neighborhoods were bristling with explosive sounds of multiple firecrackers. The skies enveloped us with sprays of color on every side. This was different and spectacular. It tested all the senses until you couldn’t comprehend all the impressions.
I wrote an ETC column while this was going on thinking it would have to come to an end by nine, or ten, or eleven. Every so often I looked out from the balcony of my third story room and saw more of the same endlessly and joyfully challenging my senses to stay awake. It won and I lost consciousness just before midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment