Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 49, Sept. 28

Back to work today. The ‘work’ isn’t much; but it is an imposing task. It’s imposing because I am put in the role of some important dignitary whose decision might determine the future of a program. Routinely, three chairs are set up in front of a school or building of the sort. The person who brought me sits in one; the leader of the program in the other; and I am in the middle. There may be a performance or group activity. And then I’m on. A child, as in today’s itinerary, would be brought to me who received some scholarship funds. I have taken it as my duty to ask some questions the answers to which would indicate if the money were well spent. I usually ask what their favorite subject is and what they want to be when they grow up. The kids are all uptight (as I would be in their shoes). So I try to lighten the tension and really find out if the students are going to improve the situation they are in now. They all are.
In the evening, I visited tuition centers. The term is misleading. These are places where students can come to do homework. Love & Care pays teachers to be monitors and mentors. The concept is to provide the students an environment where they can do their work. Almost all their homes are not. Here again the chairs are out and I get to play the part of the person who needs to be impressed. I always am.

No comments:

Post a Comment