Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day 60, Oct. 9

For counting purposes the day began at 9:00 pm the previous night. That was the time my driver picked up my bags to take me to the train station. The streets were by no means empty; but t was a far easier and speedier trip than I had figured. So, I arrived a little before 10:00 pm. My train arrived at 10:50 and remained at the platform until 11:15. I had plenty of time to figure the station out. (There are two main train stations in Chennai: Egmore and Central. I had arrived at Egmore and was leaving from Central.)
I got out of my car in the middle of a traffic jam at the entrance to the railway station. A policewoman refused to allow my driver to park. While they were arguing, I got out with my gear thanking the driver as II did so. The Central station was more like a London station than any one I’ve experienced in India. It had electronic signs that worked and a public address system that could be head distinctly. And, it had a stand that served cold Pepsi. The only source of minor discomfort was that my train’s platform number was not being listed. I wanted to get a head start finding where the train car I was assigned would alight. I spent the extra time, as I had hoped, praying the Liturgy of Hours (which wasn’t easy in a busy, loud station.
Soon enough the platform number appeared. I rushed to the track and tried to find the correct position to stand when the train arrived a bit early. It turned out to be too easy. As a crowd detrained, I walked a few more yards and found ‘B-1, entered and to my chagrin learned I was in a six bed compartment and four others were women. They were part of a family group that included about four others. Everything turned out very well. When the train finally glided out of the station, all of us silently and effectively went about our business, hanging the upper berth beds, making our beds, and climbing into them. In the semi-dark, there were no modesty questions. I stretched out on my couchette, covered myself with a heavy blanket they provide (they keep the A/C on very cold) and went to sleep.
My main problem now was getting off at the right station. The train I was on had another 600 miles to travel after my 0610 stop at Vijayawada. Sleeping past my station could have terrible results. I tried to program my body to wake up before then. That was easy because I’ve never arisen any later than that for my whole trip. Besides, my cell phone had an alarm set at 5:45 am. So, I was sufficiently confidant that I would do well. And I did. In fact, I was awakened at the previous stop an hour earlier, ascertained that the train was on time, and my stop was next. The train pulled into Vijayawada five minutes early and I jumped down to the platform a happy camper.
My next achievement was to make contact with my driver. I strolled to the nearest stairway got to the exit and waited. Unknown to me, there were three exits. Thanks to the miracle of mobile phones, my ride called me, told me they were running a bit late and were approaching the station. After a little further communication, they found where I was waiting and got m in the car for the 45 minute drive to the Bishop’s house in Eluru.
I was concerned about picking up the World of Hope contingent. Bob Leffew was accounted for as coming on the 12:05 plane from Bangalore. The others had problems with weather and their whereabouts were unclear. I thought we were going to wait at the airport for 6 hours. It was too close for that. The airport was half way to Eluru.
When w arrived at the Bishop’s House, I was shown my room, invited to breakfast at their normal time, and told everyone in the World of Hope contingent was safe, and back on schedule. Picking them up was another thing. The Prime Minister (President) of India had landed to view the damage caused by flooding in the area. So, we had to wait in a parking lot while the car picked up the group.
Here, I should explain the World of Hope Foundation and my desire to link with them. World of Hope (for the Tennessee followers of this blog) is the organization that sponsored Father Corapi in Chattanooga. That event produced revenue that went to support World of Hope’s efforts in Mexico. They support mission activities that care for children and the medical wellbeing of the poor. Although I am here under the auspices of another organization, Love & Care Missions, when I heard from the Leffews that the World of Hope was going to India to audit their activities there and that Bob might be in that delegation, I asked if I could meet them in India to see how they conduct their efforts. World of Hope is 12 or so years older and much larger. It has learned many lessons over the years that would save Love & Care a lot of anguish. Besides, meeting Bob and Fr. Mike would be a welcome respite from my living the life of a stranger.
For me, the moment of welcoming them on the side of a highway was glorious. Bob and Fr. Mike Semana were the first people I had known whom I met in two months. I was unprepared for the joyous feeling I discovered in my heart upon greeting them and their two companions. This turned out to be a bigger event than I imagined.
We all were driven to the Bishop’s House where the newcomers were given rooms, lunch and the opportunity to catch up on the sleep they all were deprived of by the weather. They got up in early evening, fed supper and we settled down to one of the liveliest and enjoyable conversations I had in months lasting into the night. That conversation included the Administrator of the diocese. The ordinary had recently passed away and the bishop of the neighboring diocese was named the interim administrator. He had taught most of the diocesan priests Indian spirituality in the seminary.

No comments:

Post a Comment