Monday, October 19, 2009

Day 64, Oct. 13

This morning we gathered for the final Mass before the contingent from World of Hope started its way home. They would leave for the Philippines, Pittsburgh and Chattanooga. At breakfast, the Bishop’s House wished them farewell. Then, they gathered with all the leaders of the various missions they sponsor and held a final meeting finalizing all that had been decided. It wasn’t until the last moment that the last correction was made to the Memorandum of Agreement. These folks were sticklers for detail. That taught me good programs are those that have good oversight and lines of communication that are revisited regularly. Still, everyone was tired but happy. At the very end of the meeting it was announced that the $39,000.00 in special projects (that is, small building improvement items were approved by the World of Hope affiliate in Pittsburgh. These are facility improvements that the organization does not normally grant but can do so on the bases of need and the availability of funds. That announcement left everyone with a good feeling.
At about 11 am the World of Hope people along with two priests from the Bishop’s House and myself departed for the airport. Unlike my first filed attempt, I was able to get into the airport and say a last farewell. The atmosphere was heavier than one would expect after seven men finished a week of meetings. But, this was different as we visited children and projects that touch one’s heart and meet nuns whose love and dedication are overwhelming and make plans for the Will of God to come to pass.
After seeing them off, we went for lunch and returned to the House. There I as met by a persistent priest whom I could hardly understand. It seemed he was making important connections for me with people who needed to see me. He used all sorts of guilt provoking language. When Fr. Mike told me he did the same with him, I judged that he was a bit deranged. Later, I leaned he was a good man who did have an accident that affected his mind. What he wanted now was for me to come to a nearby seminary and also to see a retired priest. Having no other burning issues, I went with him.
Unlike my of my travels so far, he represented nobody. He had hired a broken down three-wheel taxi which he didn’t have enough money (one or two dollars) to pay for. We went to the seminary first. It turned out to be a wonderful visit as I got to meet the rector and one of the two other faculty members of this minor seminary. We had a good tour and I received an invite to concelebrate Mass the next morning.
Then, he took me on another scamper through country roads and herds of water buffalo to Father George’s retirement home. He had worked for 12 or so years in Corpus Christi, Texas and saved enough money to build a nice but simple place to live. We had a great conversation. He had worked on the diocesan level and had many wise ideas about twinning dioceses in India with counterparts in the U.S. We spoke at length and agreed to get together again the next day with our ideas written out.

No comments:

Post a Comment