Monday, October 19, 2009

Day 66, Oct. 15


Yet another travel day begins. My train is scheduled to pull in to the station at Vijayawada at 10:30 pm. It takes about an hour or so to get there no matter what means, car, train or bus. Every time we discussed the problem the more we put it off. Fr. Moses was busy all day but insisted I be taken by car to the station 60 kms away. I was tired of the trip. Two other priests got into the act leading to total confusion. Meanwhile, I’m catching up on blogs (I seem to get up to date and then fall back a week. I’ve done that several times already. This pattern tells me most of my days are chocked full of trips, visits and meetings. Even the not so full days are hardly enough time to write more than two or three days reports.)
The final result of the confusion came when we found out that the same train that I was to get on at Vijayawada stopped at Eluru. I could simply board it right here. I had been speaking with two priests most of the day. They would come with me and the driver to the local station. One of them had been conversing with me seriously about coming to the U.S. At the station he tells me he is going to take the train with me as far as Vijayawada. During that time we talked about his thoughts about what he would do and where he would do it in America. The miles flew by. By the time we got to the next stop, I found out he had no way to get back. Who knew when the next train or bus was? That’s the way of life here. No sooner than I re-boarded the train I found the keys to my room in the Bishop’s House in my pocket. It was too late. They were going with me to Chennai.

No comments:

Post a Comment